“Sound and Silence – A Workshop for Justice Activists” (with Lelaina Romero)*
[*Part of a series of Gardarev ℠ retreats, classes and workshops in the fields of social justice, meditation, and the artistic, creative, literary, and performance arts.]
When: 9/21/2014 (Sunday) – 10am-3pm [This event is now closed.]
Where: The Meeting Point (3464 Washington St./Jamaica Plain, MA) [*SEATING LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. PLEASE REGISTER AND PAY BELOW. WE’LL TRY TO FIT IN ALL WALKINS IF THERE IS ROOM.]
“Sound and Silence” Workshop Goals: This is the first in an ongoing series of classes on how to use mindfulness meditation techniques and our connection to music to cultivate a greater sense of centeredness so that we can combine our quest for personal transformation with our justice activism to do both more effectively. We will do a combination of sitting/silent meditation, body movement, discussion, and chanting/song. People new to meditation and music, and those with experience in these areas are welcome.
About the Teacher
LeLaina Romero is a counseling psychologist at the Meeting Point. She has collaborated with communities working for justice for over 15 years, especially LGBTQ people of color and people living with HIV. She also leads songs in spiritual communities and facilitates workshops on self-care in social justice movements.
- The Meeting Point is wheelchair accessible.
- Avoid using all scented products such as lotions, perfumes, deodorant, after-shave and hair products when preparing to come to the workshop, since many people have allergies and chemical sensitivities and will not be able to participate in this workshop otherwise.
- Please feel free to bring your own brown bag lunch.
- Comfortable clothing is recommended. Dress in layers.
- Meditation cushions, and chairs are provided.
- We will be asking you to sign a release form before participating in the workshop.